Saturday, September 29, 2012

Hello!

So my last idea of updating my blog throughout the week was a total fail. Oh well!
This past Thursday I went on my first ORU weekly outreach to an emergency children's home in Tulsa, for children who are waiting to go back home or find a foster parent. We were there for three hours.
For the first hour I played with various musical toys and danced around with a group of toddlers. That entire hour the sound of an infant wailing blared through the room non stop.
After about an hour I sat down and one of the staff offered the crying baby to me. The pink cheeks, tiny fingers, and slobbery face girl was placed in my arms and stopped crying almost instantly. The staff all admired how quiet she was, and after a few minutes one staff mentioned that was the longest she'd been quiet since she'd gotten there.

I was told she was born addicted to drugs, and had just been released from the hospital after a couple months. The woman handed me a bottle of milk and said, "Since you seem to do so good, why do you try feeding her? We've hardly been able to get her to eat anything in 3 days. What she does eat, the throws up."
I gently put the bottle in the baby's mouth, and a few minutes later, she had gulped down all of it. I was so excited for her.
By the time we left, she had kept all of the milk down, and was starting a second bottle. It wasn't an earthshaking event, but it was still very exciting for me.

The next day I got on a bus and headed out of Tulsa. A two hours' drive later, a group of us 15 ORU students were at a luxurious log cabin in Kansas, Oklahoma. We were there for a retreat held by the writing department. We went on hikes, took a lot of prayer time, and mostly relaxed in writing. I was excited with how much writing I got done in two stories I am working on.

I had a riot of a laugh one night, when some of the city girls wanted to sleep under the stars. We laid down our sleeping bags on the dirt in the woods. Soon we were all a little spooked by all the sounds of nature, and I decided to have a little fun throwing rocks into the bushes and making people scream. Mwa ha ha, I'm so bad =)

In both events last week, I made great memories, and some new friends.

I have signed up for a VERY exciting new adventure, but will wait to share until all the details are certain. So be looking forward to that in the weeks to come!!
**love life**

No comments:

Post a Comment