Thursday, July 5, 2012

32 Days: Pranks Galore

Being only a month away from leaving this town, a new sense of bravery has welled up inside of me. I am willing to do things that I normally would be WAY to embarrassed to try in public. But at this time when I see the strangers of this town I know, "I won't be embarrassed of what you'll think of me, cause in a month, I'll most likely never see you again."
There are some jokes that are just really not funny when the people know you. They are hilarious on unsuspecting strangers though. Recently I have seen a few lists of pranks that I told myself I wanted to do some day. I picked the ones that I was actually brave enough to do, and made my own list and told myself I wanted to accomplish them sometime in my next 70 years of life. With only a month left until I move 2,000 miles away, I decided now was the perfect time!
1. Follow joggers around in a car blasting "Eye of the Tiger" for encouragement. This was my first joke, and got the most responses. I went to the street behind the high school track. This street is a popular starting point for people's jogging courses. Ten times I came down the road blaring the song from Rocky, and ten times every all the people on the street turned their heads to look at me, and laughed. I gotta say, even though it wasn't my favorite joke, it was so much fun making at least 20 strangers laugh.
2. Run into a store, ask what year it is. When someone answers, yell, "It worked!" and run out cheering.
One of the jokes, I had to go to the store to buy supplies for. While down the isle I needed, I accidentally bumped into a lady. We both giggled and I said, "Oops, sorry."
I paid for my supplies, then stuck them in my purse. Walking out of the store, I saw that lady, I had bumped into, and decided she was the perfect victim for this joke. The joke I wasn't totally confident I could pull off. But sure enough, I gave it a try!
I ruffled my hair a bit, and calmly walked up to her as she loaded her groceries into her car. I asked her with a concerned tone, "I'm sorry, ma'am, can you please tell me what year it is?" At first she just laughed. But then she got a little uneasy when I kept looking at her waiting for an answer. Then she scrunched her face with confusion and answered, "2012" I hooted as I waved my hands in the air, "It worked! I'm back!" Then I ran away hysterically laughing.
3. Walk up to complete strangers and say, “Hi! I haven’t seen you in so long!” etc. See if they play along to avoid embarrassment.
I did this one twice inside of Walmart, before it got boring. But! Both times the people id play along. Ha! Ha! The second person went so far as to say "Awe, give me a hug!"
As she gave me a hug, I have to wonder if she'd heard of that joke before and was turning it around on me, because right in the middle of the hug I was sent into panic mode thinking, "Oh crap, have I really met this person before?!"
4. Make vanilla pudding. Put it in a mayo jar. Eat in public.
This is the one I was most excited to do. 4th of July parade, I knew was the perfect setting to try it out, when there were copious amounts of people present. I was really hoping for a reaction like I got with the joggers, but people were mostly silently gawking. As we walked back to our car, I passed one man who gawked, shortly laughed out loud, then turned around to watch me as we kept walking opposite directions.
On our way home my parents and brother stopped and went into the store. I decided to sit in the parking lot trying for more reactions. There I got my favorite reaction. A man in his late 60's to early 70's was dressed with cowboy boots and hat, got out of his car and said to me with a cute southern drawl, "May-yo-naay-zzz?!"
I smiled and answered with one word, "Pudding."
He grabbed his belly with one hand and bent over laughing. He swatted the air in front of him, and then slapped his knee, cackling the whole time. It was so fun hearing him walking away filling the air, "Hee, hee, hoo, hoo!"

1 comment: