Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My first time cooking grits

Grits are a classic southern traditional meal. Every kid grows up with momma's good grits.
I however, did not have this experience in my northwestern childhood.
I stayed with a friend in McKinney, Texas just before going to my cousin's in Dallas for Thanksgiving this past year. The next morning her parents asked if I wanted eggs or grits for breakfast. I said eggs, and that I had not cared for the only other time I had eaten grits.

My friend's dad (who is African American) pipped up, "Honey, you are eating grits this morning! You have never had good grits unless you have had a true southern black man's grits."

He made it, and he was right...I LOVED it!
It reminded me of a higher quality cream of wheat, which is my all time favorite cereal.

Today I went to a new Whole Foods store in Tulsa, and I was hoping to buy in bulk, some cream of wheat. There was none at the store but they did have grits for $1.19 per pound.
I thought of the time in McKinney, and I thought grits would be similar to make. So I bought 3 pounds.

This evening as I got hungry, I decided to cook some grits. I approached it as if it were cream of wheat. I added about 2 cups of grits, and about 2.5 cups of boiling hot water, then I stuck it in the microwave for 2 minutes.
I blew on it then took a bite, and nearly choked on the grains. It was no where near done.
That's when I knew it would be best if I look up cooking directions online. Boy was I in for a shock!

Recommended 5 cups of water for 1 cup of grits, and cook at a simmer on the stove for 40-50 minutes.
I groaned at the directions, realizing I may have just gotten myself into some big trouble.

So I added a whole bunch more water, then stuck in in the microwave for 5 minutes. During that time I had a hunch this was about to become a funny story. So now I am documenting it.

7:35 Add several more cups of water.set microwave for 5 minutes


7:40 Stir and let it cool for 5 minutes.
7:45 Take a small bite. Still feels like swallowing dry sand. Add more water, set microwave for another 5 minutes


7:50 Stir and let cool for 5 minutes
7:55 Still sandy. 5 more minutes


8:05 Crunchy and dough like. Add more water, and 5 more minutes in microwave.


8:13 A lot softer, but still not pleasant. Very dough like. Add more water. Grits now about to over flow.
8:15 Get 2nd container to hold grits. Add even more water. Microwave 5 more minutes. 


8:20 Too hot!!! Put in freezer for 5 minutes.


8:30 Puuuuurfect. But way more food than I planned on making, for this "quick dinner" ha ha.


No comments:

Post a Comment