Monday, February 25, 2013

Memories from the Mission field Part 1: Mrs. Lehman

As I get down to the final weeks before departing to accomplish my life long dream of going to Africa, I want to spend some time sharing about different people who helped motivate me, and share different stories from my time in missions.

This first entry, I will copy and paste something I had written up in 2008 about a teacher who helped inspire me when I was in 6th grade, Mrs. Lehman:

Monday, March 24, 2008
A letter from Mrs. Lehman
Category: Life
A letter from Mrs. Lehman
I had this teacher in the 6th grade. Her name was Mrs. Lehman. It is so funny now that I think back about it. The whole year I was terrified of her! She was probably one of the most strict teachers I have ever had. Like any stupid little kid I thought because she was strict it meant she just hated kids...but that was the farthest thing from the truth. I can now think back to all the times she made me laugh, comforted me as I cried, and supported me in every way possible. By the time I was half way through 7th grade I missed her class.
In 2004 Mrs. Lehman passed away very suddenly. I was crushed when I heard the news.
Time went by and we all grieved and eventually moved on and Mrs. Lehman became a part of my memory. A few weeks ago I was pretty upset about a few situations and was really questioning everything about myself. Now, one of my weirdest quirks is that I clean like crazy when I am frustrated. So I was in my room cleaning it when I found a folded up piece of paper. I opened it up and knew what it was within the first few words, and the tears started pouring. It was a paper Mrs. Lehman had written about her having a conversation with one of her granddaughters 20yrs in the future and they were discussing on where every one in our class was these days.
This is what she had written about me:
"Lindsay and I chatted for a few more minutes, and she shared with me that she and her family were traveling to Kenya, Africa next year to visit former classmate, Savanah. Savanah was a missionary in a small village in the middle of Kenya. She had become a nurse soon after high school and was using her skills to be the only "doctor" of the village, as well as being the deliverer if the good news of Jesus Christ. People loved her and were always coming to her with their problems. Somehow, no matter how difficult the situation, she always managed to make every one feel better. Savanah spent many of her evenings at the local orphanage reading to the children, playing with them, and fulfilling their needs of some one to love them. She often thought of the days gone by at CCS and the friends she made there. She thought of how Mrs. Lehman had told her to listen to the voice of Jesus and do what He says. For a while she was confused on whether she should be a missionary or a nurse, but the Lord revealed to her she could do both. She is extremely happy, fulfilled, and awaits the day of Jesus’ coming"

At the bottom she wrote "You're doing good, Girl!!!!!"
For a while I felt all my frustrations were gone. I really don’t have too much to worry about because it is all going to work out fine.
It was amazing to me how even over 3yrs after her death, and 5yrs after being in her class, she still was helping me. Letting me know that there was some one who was rooting for me, some one who believed in me, even when I do not believe in myself. Her words of wisdom still ring in my ear in times of trouble. A giant smile still covers my face when I think of her roaring laughter. But most of all I still feel the warmth of her love and compassion whenever I picture her face
Let this be an encouragement (aside from my possible bad grammar) to all teachers who may be reading. Even if it doesn’t seem like it, you have an amazing influence on your students. One that will remain for many years after they have left your classroom.
If you have been tagged it's because you were one of my teachers, are a teacher, or are some one who I know has great influence on people's lives

No comments:

Post a Comment