Monday, February 25, 2013

Memories from the mission field Pt 3: Ms. Sowa

Me in Madrid
Ms. Sowa was my Spanish teacher 9th and 10th grade. By that time I had traveled to Mexico with my family and church, but traveling overseas was still something I thought would only happen many years in the future. 

But at 16 she made it possible for CCS to have a class trip to Spain.
 

An unexpected twist happened last minute, when Ms. Sowa became too ill to travel. I was faced with the dilemma of skipping the trip and not getting a refund, or traveling through Germany and Spain on my own, unchaperoned. Everyone else on the trip backed out.
 

I and 1 classmate ended up being the only ones who decided to still go.
 

Once we got to the hotel in Madrid, we grouped up with another class from D.C. for chaperoning purposes, but somehow traveling with out a parent or teacher made a big impact on me. It made my world a bigger and more fun place, and it sparked a desire in me to make my whole life an adventure.
 

I gained a sense of great independence and confidence from choosing to go on the trip, and that is helped me know I could handle going to Peru the next summer.
 

Although I did not do missions work in Spain, it was still a great milestone in my missions experience, for it acted as a sort of catalyst for the future.

Ms. Sowa went to heaven last week, and I am so thankful that she was the one who encouraged me to go to Spain, and broaden my horizon. It really did make a lasting impact in my life, and for that I am so thankful to have known Ms. Sowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment