Thursday, February 28, 2013

Memories from the mission field: "I love you Anna"

Today was another one of my favorite memories in missions. Sometimes I think people forget that there is a mission field at home too.
This picture was from several months ago, from some appreciative foster kids I knew.
Foster care is my mission field at home.
Tonight I went to a shelter for children, and I had one of those sweet little moments that I will remember for a long time. Childhood is hard and often confusing, especially so when you are a foster child. The kids so badly need love and attention that can be hard to find.
One cannot be as open about religion in American foster care as on a foreign mission field, but ones experience can be just as powerful.
Tonight I played games with a little boy, and spun him around in the air, and shot basketball hoops with him.
Bedtime came and he asked me if I would tuck him in. He got all snug in bed and I told him it was time for me to go back to my home.
The boy sat up and gave me a hug and said, "I love you Anna. Your name is Anna right? I'm going to remember you Anna."
The amazing thing about missions, is when I go in wanting to impact, others impact me. This little boy made my day by saying those few words to me.
Just the smallest act of love can change some one's world, and usually that one is yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment